top of page

Derby lose 0-2 to Fylde in a disappointing afternoon.

The Ewe Rams suffered their second defeat of the season as they were beaten 2-0 by AFC Fylde Women in the first of two consecutive matches against each other.

The match was the Ewe Rams’ first after their FA Women’s National League Cup match away to Fylde was postponed following the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

A goal either side of half-time saw the Ewes defeated following their impressive back-to-back victories over Loughborough Lightning and Boldmere St. Michaels.

Despite the defeat, the Ewes created plenty of chances throughout the match and were unfortunate not to have found the back of the Fylde net.

Ahead of kick-off a minute’s silence was well-observed by supporters and players, which was then followed by the national anthem.

The Ewes started with some beautiful intricate passing before Fylde took the lead in the seventh minute against the run of play. Amy Hughes went past 2 defenders before slotting her shot past the outstretched Imogen Maguire in the Derby goal to give the visitors the lead.

Marli Rhodes-Andrews counter-attacked with pace up the left wing following Keira Barry’s goal-line clearance but her looping effort went narrowly over the crossbar.

Rhodes-Andrews had her second chance of the game in the 17th minute. She was bearing down on goal, one-on-one with Jenna Carroll, a centre-half who was deployed in goal following injuries to both Fylde keepers, but her shot was high and wide.

It was Rhodes-Andrews again who continued to cause problems for Fylde. This time she saw her shot tipped on to the bar from a narrow angle by Carroll.

Following a couple of chances for Rhodes-Andrews she tried to turn provider, as she passed the ball across goal to Jess Camwell who took the shot on first-time with her right foot, but her effort was wide of the post from inside the area.

The Ewes’ best chance of the first half fell to the in-form Amy Sims. She was played in by Camwell’s delightful pass which split open the visitors’ defence, but her effort also went wide of the goal.

Despite the growing Derby pressure, Fylde doubled their lead in the 73rd minute as Jess Holbrook curled the ball from outside the area around Maguire to give the visitors a two-goal cushion.

Emily Joyce was denied a goal right at the end of the game following a good save by Carroll, although it would have only turned out to be a consolation.

The Ewes will travel to Fylde for their next match on Sunday September 25 as they kick off their FA Women’s National League cup campaign.

Ewe Rams

Maguire; Ward (C), Jackson, Clarkson; Barry, Joyce, Sutherland, Rhodes-Andrews (63); Sims, Wilson (82); Camwell

Subs: Morgan, Hilliard, Gaspar (63), Jenkins (82), McGrother


Carroll; Fryer, Taylor, Pearson, Merrin; Holbrook, Forster, Fields, Hollinstead, McCoy, Hughes (84)

Subs: Young, Bickett (84), Binks



bottom of page