top of page

A late minute equaliser gets a well deserved point for the Ewes

Ewe Rams had to come from behind against Liverpool Feds to salvage a hard-fought point in the 94th minute.

The Ewe’s unfortunately found themselves on the wrong end of a last-minute goal in their opening game against Burnley last Sunday.

However, Derby’s persistence against Liverpool Feds changed fortunes, as Amy Sims managed to equalise with the last kick of the game to earn the Ewe’s their first point of the season.

An inspired performance by Feds goalkeeper Rachel Darbyshire made it difficult for the Ewe’s to score, despite having plenty of chances throughout the game.

The Ewe Rams started the game lively, especially Marli Rhodes-Andrews who looked dangerous on the right-hand side causing plenty of problems for Abby Pope.

An early chance in the match fell to Rhodes-Andrews as she latched onto a cross, but her header was just wide of the post.

Moments later it was Ewe Rams again who had chance to open the scoring, this time through Jess Camwell. She was played in by last week’s player of the match Sims, but she fired her shot well over the bar.

Despite the early chances for Ewe Rams, Liverpool Feds looked to be a threat. Imogen Maguire was called into action to deny Katie Thomas the opening goal of the game with an incredible save.

A cross was whipped into the area which found its way to Thomas who was five-yards from goal, but a point blank save by Maguire with her right boot was enough to keep the ball out of the net.

Another chance fell in the way of Liverpool Feds but fortunately for the Ewe’s no player could capitalise on it.

A free-kick and yellow card was awarded against Becky McGrother for a handball. The resulting free-kick was delivered into the area but was comfortably dealt with by Maguire, until the ball slipped out of her hands and rolled towards the goal-line, but the danger was eventually dealt with.

The second-half started in similar fashion with both side’s creating chances, but neither side able to find a breakthrough.

It took until the 67th minute for the deadlock to be broken, as Liverpool Feds took the lead.

Pope who scored in the Feds’ 1-1 draw against Wolves last weekend, got her second goal of the season. She attempted to cross the ball into the Ewe’s penalty area but her cross deceived Maguire and found its way into the back of the net.

The Ewe Rams came close to finding a leveller in the 86th minute but were unfortunate to be denied by the woodwork.

It took until the 94th minute for Ewe Rams to find the back of the net as Sims added to her tally following her two goals against Burnley last weekend.

The Ewe’s were pushing for the equaliser in the dying moments of the match when a shot rebounded back to Sims who tapped home the rebound to level the game and seal a point for the Ewe’s ahead of their midweek clash with Loughborough Lightning on Wednesday evening.


bottom of page